I made German Chocolate Cheesecake tonight.
- 1 cup finely crushed graham crackers
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 8 ounce package reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel), softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup dairy sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons light-color corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. For crust, in a bowl, combine crushed graham crackers, the 1/4 cup coconut, the 1/4 cup pecans, and the 2 tablespoons sugar. Stir in the 1/4 cup melted butter. Press mixture onto the bottom of an ungreased 9-inch springform pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
2. For filling, in a small heavy saucepan, cook and stir chocolate over low heat until melted; cool. In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, the 3/4 cup sugar, the sour cream, and the 2 teaspoons vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined. Beat in flour just until combined. Stir in eggs and melted chocolate. Pour over crust, spreading evenly.
3. Place springform pan in a shallow baking pan. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a 2-inch area around the outside edge appears set and the center appears nearly set when gently shaken. Remove springform pan from baking pan. Cool cheesecake in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes. Using a small sharp knife, loosen edge of cheesecake from side of pan. Cool for 30 minutes. Remove side of pan; cool completely (about 1-1/4 hours).
4. Meanwhile, for topping, in a small saucepan, combine the 1/2 cup butter and the 1/4 cup sugar. Cook over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat. Stir in the 1 cup coconut, the 1/2 cup toasted pecans, the milk, corn syrup, and the 1 teaspoon vanilla. Cool to room temperature.
5. Spread topping over cheesecake. Cover loosely and chill at least 4 hours.
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- ½ cup butter
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk or cream (if needed)
1. Chocolate Buttercream: Beat cream cheese and butter for 4 minutes.
2. Add cocoa, powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Let beat for 3 minutes.
* If it is too thick, add milk. If it is too thin, add powdered sugar. Or if it is not dark enough, add more cocoa.
- 9 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon dark rum (optional)
1. Place the chocolate into a medium bowl.
2. Heat the cream in a small sauce panover medium heat. Bring just to a boil, watching very carefully because if it boils for a few seconds, it will boil out of the pot. When the cream has come to a boil, pour over the chopped chocolate, and whisk until smooth. Stir in the rum if desired.
3. Allow the ganache to cool slightly before pouring over a cake. Start at the center of the cake and work outward. For a fluffy frosting or chocolate filling, allow it to cool until thick, then whip with a whisk until light and fluffy.